From ‘Annabel’s Family Cookbook’ by Ebury Press
Photography by Martin Poole
(10 bamboo skewers serving 2)
2 chicken breasts
Small piece of fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp runny honey
1 tsp peanut butter
100g peanut butter (crunchy)
75 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1. Soak the skewers in water for 30 minutes to stop them from scorching when grilling.
2. Mix the marinade. Peel and grated the ginger (you should have about ¼ tsp), crush the garlic and put in a bowl along with the lime juice, soy sauce, honey and peanut butter and whisk together.
3. Put the chicken breasts into a sealable plastic bag or cover with cling film and use a mallet or rolling pin to bash the chicken breasts until they are about ½ cm thick.
4. Marinate the chicken. Slice each chicken breast into 5 strips and marinate for about 30 minutes. Whilst the chicken is marinating you can make the sauce. Put the peanut butter, coconut milk, water, sweet chilli sauce and soy sauce in a small pan. Warm gently, stirring constantly, until everything has melted. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, then stir in 1 tsp of the leftover lime juice and set aside.
5. Thread the chicken strips onto skewers and put on a foil lined baking sheet. Grill each side for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
6. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Preparation: 20minutes (plus 30 minutes soaking & 30 minutes marinating)
Cooking: 5 minutes
Makes 2 portions
Annabel’s Family Cookbook (Ebury Press) is filled with cooking inspiration for the whole family and available to buy now. Visit www.annabelkarmel.com